The smoke clears

Wattle lights up the garden, and our spirits!

The disaster of the kitchen

Three weeks ago we had a house fire at the farm. We heard via one of those phone-calls you hope you’ll never get. Black smoke seen billowing from under the eaves by a vigilant neighbour. A neighbour whose actions saved our lovely old heritage-listed cottage from being razed to the ground. Instead of a lost house, we have a burnt-out kitchen and severe smoke damage to every other room. Severe smoke damage to every other thing, in fact.

But, as the fire authorities said, it could have been much, much worse. No one–and no animal–was hurt. There is nothing that isn’t replaceable or repairable. And we were insured. The insurance company has been wonderfully  efficient–the house has already been cleared out and cleaned ready for repainting, and measured for a new kitchen. Cause of the fire? Most likely an electrical fault in the dishwasher.

Just yards away from the fire, the garden is untouched

Surrounded by bushland, we always thought the threat was from outside, not inside. But in spite of the devastation inside the house, the garden goes on untouched and with the first signs of spring unstoppable. Fortunately for us, we have an apartment elsewhere so are not homeless. We have much to be thankful for!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s